Gardening with containers is the best solution for garden lovers who live in areas where it is not possible to have a regular gardens or areas that have little space. We have come up some container gardening basics need-to-know that will be essential in your gardening journey.
Lack of space and time discourage a lot of people from gardening. However, with the emergence of gardening containers (container gardening), indoor gardening, and plant pots, anyone interested will be able to go into gardening without worrying about space. Container gardening is best known for its cost efficiency, space management, and beauty.
Types of Gardening Containers
There are different types of gardening containers including basket, wooden, fiber, clay, metal, plastic, stone, etc. With container gardening basics knowledge, you know that before buying one, you need to decide which would best suit your needs. Below is a review of the three most efficient containers
Plastic pots are cheap and are gradually becoming the latest trend in containers for gardening. They are quite light and come in different shapes and sizes. Most plastic containers also come with a built-in reservoir.
The good thing about wooden containers is that you can buy them ready-made or make them yourself from old wood in your house which would cost nothing. Not only do they provide good heat insulation, you can make them into any shape or form you want when constructing it yourself.
This is the most popular type of gardening container. They have different shapes and sizes and some clay containers are as big as a tub. They are portable and movable due to the light weight and can also be easily maintained.
Sizes of Gardening Containers
Container gardening basics fundamentals include the size of the plant pot. The size of garden containers has a lot to do with how well the leaf, flower or fruit will grow. The container should contain all that the plant needs to grow well. Thus the size of container varies depending on each plant needs. While a single plant might need a large container to grow, two small pants can grow in an average container.
- Fruiting plants like peppers and tomatoes require 27- 35cm containers
- Asian leafy greens and spinach need 15 to 20cm containers
- Egg plants and bush tomatoes require 47-75cm containers
- Larger Asian greens, herbs, and broccoli require 25-30cm containers
Where to Buy Gardening Containers
When you want to buy a gardening container, bear in mind that the most important thing in container gardening is the container itself, so make sure to select the best. Container gardening basics essentials include a list of places to buy the plant pots. If you are crafty and creative, you can make your own or you can just purchase them. Some places you can buy gardening containers include Target, Anthropologie, Wayfair, Terrain, Ferng, Home Depot, etc.
Benefits of Using Gardening Containers to Grow Food
When you know container gardening basics, then you better understand the benefits of potted plants. The benefits of using gardening containers are so many and they would not be possible with regular garden yards. Gardening containers
- Indoor gardening, balcony gardening
- Reduce the spread of disease from one plant to another
- Are easier to maintain for beginners
- Involve less regular gardening work
- The gardening containers give you the opportunity of structuring your garden to your taste
- Gardening containers make it easier to move your plants about, especially during unfavorable weather conditions.
- Animals are less likely to trample on your vegetables planted in gardening containers.
- Can be given as a gardening gift!