Uterine fibroids may not be cancerous, but they can cause pelvic pain, backache, excessive menstrual bleeding, and frequent urination. Other complications resulting from these outgrowths include fertility issues, bloating and pain during sex. People with fibroids attempt to shrink fibroids to lessen these complications. Download a copy of my book for more insights.
Shrink Fibroids Plant Based Diet
The excessive loss of blood during menstruation in women who have fibroids can lead to anemia. This health condition results from the depletion of iron stores through heavy menstrual bleeding. Iron deficiency anemia in women is a serious health issue. Besides pregnancy complications and irregular heartbeat, this condition can alter vital bodily functions.
A healthy lifestyle can help control small fibroids. However, surgery is commonly used to remove large fibroids. This treatment option has negative consequences. Besides, the fibroids may grow back after removal. To avoid the complications and scars resulting from the surgery, women with uterine fibroids seek for a more effective treatment method.
Research has shown that plant-based diets can shrink these outgrowths. Since excess estrogen causes fibroids, consumption of plant products can improve this health condition. The plant-based diet contains plant estrogen (or phytoestrogen) which can regulate the estrogen levels in a woman’s body. These substances deactivate estrogen, which is then removed from the body through the urine.
The absence of excess estrogen inhibits the growth of uterine fibroids. The existing tumors will shrink when the phytoestrogen neutralizes the estrogen. Rich sources of plant estrogens include flax seeds, nuts, and whole grains. Daily intake of a tablespoon of ground flax seeds can be helpful in managing uterine fibroids.
Foods that can eliminate fibroid symptoms
The removal of meat and dairy products from a diet is not sufficient to provide relief from uterine fibroids. The strict adherence to a plant-based diet is an effective treatment method for this condition. In addition to phytoestrogen, foods of plant origin with high fiber content can also help shrink fibroids. They reduce the level of estrogen in the body and prevent constipation.
The following foods of plant origin can lessen the symptoms of fibroids.
- Whole grains: Millet, oats, rye, brown rice and buckwheat are rich in fiber. They also contain vitamin B, which can neutralize estrogen. Consume whole grains and limit the intake of processed food such as crackers and bread.
- Flax seeds: This plant product contains lignans which control the level of estrogen.
- Fruits and vegetables: Besides fiber, these foods are sources of antioxidants. Lycopene contained in yellow fruits and vegetables such as oranges and tomatoes can shrink uterine fibroids. Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels sprouts can regulate the level of estrogen in the body.
- Iron rich food: Plants for iron deficiency anemia can provide relief to women with fibroids. They include pomegranate, nuts, soy, beans, lentils, raisins, pumpkin seeds and fortified cereals.
- Legumes: These plant products regulate circulating estrogen in the body. Daily consumption of soy products such as tofu, miso, and tempeh can lessen the fibroid symptoms. The inclusion of peas, beans and chicken peas in the diet is also recommended to shrink fibroids.
A plant-based diet can prevent the progression of uterine fibroids and lessen the symptoms. This treatment option has no adverse effects. Besides, it is affordable compared to surgery for removal of fibroids.